“Awful Journey”

Yesterday was one of my worse train journeys ever. I left the house in enough time, got to Euston at five minutes past 2pm. Ouch! I had to get on the three minutes past 2pm train. I missed it!

My ticket was a standard one and this meant it was not valid on the next Virgin train on the plat form. The Virgin one way ticket was way too expensive so I bought the London midland ticket instead.

I went straight to platform 8 and without double checking I got on the train on the stand. The train took off earlier than expected. I checked my time in amazement and was very surprised by the unusual early departure. The onboard announcement began only for me to realise I was on the train to Tring. I was looking very confused. I have heard of Tring but have no idea where that is. After a few minutes of brain storming, I spoke to one of the crew members. A very kind looking gentleman who advised me to get off at Watford junction and change for the Coventry service.

I boarded the train which arrived ten minutes after I got off in Watford junction. When we got to Bletchley, we were delayed because they couldn’t find a conductor to take over. After wasting our time for minutes unend, the train was cancelled and we were all alighted. This journey started on a bad note and it was not looking better but as typical of me I kept my calm.

We joined the next service to Northampton and in Northampton, the train terminated. Again. Now I was getting very restless, chilly and hungry. So were the other passengers I was travelling with. I waited twenty minutes for the next service and arrived in Coventry at 5:38pm. What an awful journey.

Dad called me when I got home to check on me. He asked if my train went through Leighton Buzzard. I said yes. He also asked if I used the ladies in Leighton Buzzard to which I laughed because the questions were weird. It was then told me a woman had just died in a fire outbreak on the London midland service from Northampton to London. As somewhat typical of dad he said serious things as if he was joking so I didn’t take him seriously.

I went online to find out for myself and these were my findings.


I was shocked with what I found. I left Northampton at 4:56pm and the incident happened at 5:07pm. What more can I say except Thank God for travelling mercies. Whoever this woman was may her soul rest in peace.


Share your thoughts...

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s